Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

President Trump? Really?

I'm not sure I can vote in the presidential election out of good conscience.

Here's a quote attributed to former LDS president and prophet Ezra Taft Benson.

If you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right.

Therein lies my problem. Which is the lesser of two evils in this scenario? Both Trump and Hillary would be disastrous in entirely different ways. Trump would probably be better with the economy and jobs and domestic security. Hillary would be likely fare better in foreign affairs, which is ironic given her awful record as Secretary of State. She'd be a less embarrassing president, which is something, but she's still a deeply flawed candidate and she'd be hard on the economy to boot

If Trump were to promise that he'd nominate Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court, I believe I could vote for him. Otherwise, I just can't vote either way.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know... Hillary is very embarrassing in the fact that she is known as incredibly corrupt and has a history of disaster left in her wake. I believe it is our civic responsibility to vote, whether the choices are any good or not. I tell all that even if you are unable to vote for a presidential candidate, I beg of you to show up at the polls as other races will also be taking place in November and we can't simply lose them all in a protest show.

    ReplyDelete