Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Reflections on Faith

There are people I know or know of who have left The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am invariably saddened when they do this, because these people lost their faith. How does any religious person safeguard against that?

Let me tell you what I know.

First, I know that faith can't be "understood" with the rational mind. Secularists invariably confuse physical knowledge which they can reason out, with spiritual knowledge which is gained in a different method taught in all religions' books, at least that I know of. That spiritual method of acquiring knowledge is that first you seek, then you find. Faith is like a little seed; if planted, it will grow. In other words, to build faith, you must first take a leap of faith. Try it and see for yourself.

I am a scientist, but I do not "analyze" my religion because spiritual knowledge doesn't come from the scientific method. I can be a scientist and religious with no contradiction whatsoever.

Because I have faith, I know from my own experience and through the power of the Holy Ghost that God loves me, that Jesus Christ loves me and suffered for me and that through his grace and power I can live with God again. I know that God is good and loves all His children and that He wants us to be happy and that we can be truly happy as we follow Him. I know that scriptures and church and service all bring me closer to God - they invite His Holy Spirit into my life and bring me great joy and the peace that surpasses all understanding. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that families can be together forever because of the sealing ordinances available to worthy members in holy temples of God through the Holy Priesthood of God.

This is not to say that I don't understand that people aren't perfect, including those in positions of religious leadership. There are strange stories that don't make a lot of sense behind every single religion I know of. My faith is not in people; it is in God. Yet I support the people, flawed though they are, because I am human too. It's been said that "to err is human; to forgive divine."



By the way, I have the opportunity to hook all of you up with a free copy of the Book of Mormon and copies of testimonies from other Mormon bloggers. If you are interested, please tell me. I'm supposed to be able to upload a link/button for this purpose but I have not been successful at doing so at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment