Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

"I Was Adam Lanza"

I found another excellent look at the psychiatric aspects of mass shootings in "I Was Adam Lanza." See older posts for other similar articles. In it is the account of someone who had the same propensities as Adam Lanza and all the other shooters, but he didn't act on it thanks to his psychologist and mother, though he calls out the media for their part in immortalizing murderers, which is exactly what they want.
Like the author of that piece [I am Adam Lanza's mother], Liza Long, my mother had no idea what to do about my sudden transformation (in my case, around 16) into a borderline homicidal maniac. Like her son, I used knives to try and make my threats of violence seem more real. Like her son, I would leap out of our car in the middle of the road just to get away from my mother, over the most trivial of offenses. Like her son, I screamed obscenities at my mother shortly after moments of relative peace. And worse than this poor woman's son, whose mindset toward his peers we can only guess, I will admit that I fantasized multiple times about taking ordnance to my classmates.
By the logic which leads Liza Long to say, "I am Adam Lanza's mother,” I have to say: “I was Adam Lanza.”
I don't say this to get attention. It's in the past, and I honestly would prefer to pretend those years of my life never happened. I’ve struggled hard for psychological healing, and I sincerely believe I’ve made progress.
However, given recent events, I have a warning to offer - and an obligation to offer it.
I hope that by giving this explanation, including why I was the way I was, the world will work out that it is possible for kids like me – kids contemplating the most awful crimes - to get better. Kids like me and Liza Long’s son are not psychotic lost causes. We can be stopped. We can be saved.
Read more. There are three installments. Understanding how the smart social outcasts think and understanding how they can be helped may very well make an enormous difference in the number of such incidents in the United States and certainly in the strength and compassion of our communities.


No comments:

Post a Comment