Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Peace

Amidst all the turmoil the world over from various manmade and natural causes, and with the renewal of the holiday season, I think it is a good time to talk about feeling peace. I'm not talking about world peace or lack of conflict. Rather, the ability to feel peace within one's heart in the middle of chaos. "The peace that comes alone from Thee," as as is commonly written and sung.

Martin Luther wrote the hymn, "A Mighty Fortress is Our God," describing this feeling which God gives His faithful followers. "A mighty fortress is our God, A tower of strength ne'er failing. A helper mighty is our God, O'er ills of life prevailing. He overcometh all. He saveth from the Fall. His might and pow'r are great. He all things did create. And he shall reign forevermore."

Without faith in God, this feeling is lost, a mystery. Those of you who believe in God and have felt His love and power will know what I'm talking about. Those of you who haven't won't unless or until you give faith a try. I know for myself that the things of the spirit are just as real as the physical body, even if they're not manifested in the same (physical) ways. The spiritual ways are taught in the scriptures. First, you must want to believe, and pray and obey the commandments as if you did believe, then God can manifest His love and power to you, and you will know. I have great peace and reassurance through Christ that He is in control of my life, guiding and blessing my life, and that with His help, I can face any challenges. Even if things don't turn out the way I'd like or if truly horrible things happen, I can handle it with His support.

No comments:

Post a Comment